Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Ghost in the Weir



A trip yesterday to Knettishall Heath on what could be an early summer day!
Where? Go to Thetford and turn right. I beg your pardon?
TM 956806 to be precise. Now off and play with your grid references for heavens sake!


A stride up Hut Hill and a perilous traverse to Nick's Hill. As you can see, the terrain posed quite a few technical difficulties. The total elevation of the ascent of over 10 metres was achieved without recourse to oxygen. I may have acquired a few pounds but they are only half as many if you count them in kilos. I have lost none of the skill, determination and pluck that got me over the Kolhoi Glacier in a pair of sailing ducks over 25 years ago. That, however, is a tale for another time.

The descent without ropes was tricky but my nerve held and I was wise enough to rest just above base camp. So many expeditions come to grief on the way down!

A detour at the end where I discovered the Ghost in the Weir, maybe the ghost of expeditions past?