Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Enjoy the Fag End of Life.

A drive to Sudbury.

Where? I hear you say, but that’s your loss!

The Gainsborough House recently renovated and refurbished presents a tremendous resource. You could do 2 PHDs here for the price of one.

I have very fond memories sitting with Lady BP under the Mulberry Tree; taking the air and enjoying our life.

The garden is maintained on a voluntary basis. I asked about the mulberries – no one knows; I hope the gardener makes lots of juice, wine or pies with them. He or she deserves it for creating such a peaceful space.

I am very blessed to be able to do these things!

I remember the portrait of

Boy Driving Cows near a Pool

It is in the Tate and the caption includes:-

'I'm sick of portraits and wish very much to take my Viol da Gamba [cello] and walk off to some sweet Village where I can paint landskips and enjoy the fag end of life in quietness and ease'.

It was written 2 years before he died and I do hope he enjoyed sitting outside some village inn, puffing his pipe and daubing the odd landskip!

Interesting use of the phrase fag end!