Monday, February 26, 2007

Six Nations One Family Part 2

A txt this weekend from our Rugby Correspondent:-

Just one thing 2 hope 4 now! Wales 2 win in Paris! Hard 4 an English man 2 hope!

It reminded me of the Chief Technical Officer I worked with in the 80s. He he had let it be known on a number of occasions that there was only one thing better than seeing Wales trashed at Cardiff Arms Park (as it was in those days) and that was to see Wales trashed by England at Cardiff Arms Park.

My reasoning on this was that it was to do with the genes. He was born in the border region and probably his DNA had lots of stuff in it about sheep, property and this sort of thing captured by
Ben Hammersly .

His view was one that I would not necessarily have disagreed with. I would also add that, to the best of my knowledge, I am the only member of our extended family who has any connection with Wales. My maternal grandmother was Welsh! There, I've said it, but don't tell anyone.

I hope it is not just the DNA and stuff but I did enjoy the match betweenEngland and Ireland. Good rugby, good sportspersonship, civility, and a recognition on both 'sides' that the English have come a long way since the time they had to shoot their way into a sports ground. It's just the odd country that gets it now.

So we lost!

I know it is a betrayal after all these years but has anyone thought of approaching Ronan O'Gara to see if he would be interested in being the next PM?