Sunday, October 09, 2011

Economics and Religion

I was traveling in a bus on a dusty road in Cuba with a bunch of lefties on the one hand and a pack of Christians on the other. (Don't ask!) We were giving voice as they say to while away the time. Trouble. There was a definite grudge fest in the selection of canciones. Banda roja (or possibly rioja in my case) and arias with liberdad and solidaridad were alternating with songs of praise. I could see this culminating in a Bellini like tradgedy. I decided to provide the Monagues and Capulets with a rendition of that Glasgow classic:- Jesus puts his money in the Glasgow Savings Bank - Jesus Saves! It was an exito; a light tenor and being large and unsightly did the trick.
I think the next one up was Nessum Dorma. If you don't know it I'm sure Mr U Tube will provide some examples for you. I believe a chap called Pavarotti had a bit of success with it a while ago. Never did find out what happened to him.

Which is a long way round to the nice little Banx cartoon which I saw in the FT yesterday.
Man, in duffle coat and beard with placard which bears the words:-

JESUS SAVES SPENDS