Monday, June 01, 2009

Let him who is without sin cast the first Stone!

OK so here is the deal.

I.F. (Izzy) Stone was a journo who made a modest living and a substantial reputation from self publishing his weekly. In those days, before blogs, the collapse of print journalism as we know it Jim, hell fire and damnation, and small snot green coloured animals that cling to your crocks in the summer, he made, in my view, a very reasonable job of speaking and writing truth to power.

Reportedly starting from a base of 5,200 charter subscribers he and his wife cranked out 20,000 postal issues by, 1963, and 70,000 in its final year, 1971.This was all done, Mom and Pop enterprise, from the 'kitchen table' on the back of a Government postal subsidy.

I am here waving my, well dodgy, fiver a month and proffering it to the first person who can provide me with journalism on a par with Izzy Stone or Jimmy Cameron and deliver it over the e-waves to my virtual front door.

Yes, of course, I could subscribe to the electronic Grauniad etc., etc.

But what I want is a small group of people knocking out stuff that would challenge me and cause the bastards serious trouble.

A group who would have these current thieving gobshites up against a wall and begging for the works of Corporal Murphy.

A dream of course!

I still have the fiver have written on it that:-

Our King is a true British Sailor!

Let me know if you find it and I might tell you the story!