Monday, June 15, 2009

Plus ca change!

An interesting article via Arts and Letters Daily.
When I first discovered this online mag many years ago I could not believe my luck. Someone was prepared to trawl through online stuff and put it up like a newspaper. Some of it did not interest me and some of it did. I only paid for the electrons and didn't have to worry about recycling them!
Having spent several years studying physics I'm still not sure if electrons ultimately, recycle, decay or change in all around I see. (I was certainly never very good at words to songs or hymns, definitely not Protestant ones!)
Moving on.
So Oliver Wendell Holmes Jnr. tendered a dissenting opinion in a decision of the Supreme Court
on April 17, 1905, in the case of Lochner v. New York.1

At a mere 617 words, the dissenting opinion is an interesting one.

The burden of the article is that the Supreme Court, under the corrosive influence of Holmes' dissent, has drifted into a form of paralysis and the view that the Constitution is an empty vessel with no moral content. It would allow tyranny as equitably as it would restrain tyrants.

Go on give it a whirl, stretch the old grey matter!