Tuesday, December 11, 2007

From mice to pigs.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men

Gang aft agley

You’ll forgive me if I sound like Chris out of Northern Exposure groaning away on the good old kay-Bear but 'The Rabbi' (Burns) did appear to have an insight here.

I was hooked by the link to the Open Democracy article.

As a practising moneylender and property speculator I was shocked to learn that the fruits of such positive activity could be used to such ill effect. But then why should I be.

Hey, if de big guys can do wrong den why can’t de liddle guys.

More evidence of the ripe fruits of capitalism, if any were needed, in a Grauniad article on banks' use of charitable trusts. I particularly like the idea that when caught with hands in the cookie jar the big, bad, old bear told the charity one thing and the newspaper another, allegedly!

And finally a suggestion for a tank without taint!

Saudi free petrol! Is any other particularly clean? You've got to start somewhere.

Not sure if it is possible or even if it would be popular but I still enjoy a good old campaign.

I (think) I remember reading Hunter S. writing about a campaign organised by LBJ to discredit a fresh faced, honest looking, clean as a whistle, young opponent in Texas.

Let’s put it about that he f**** pigs!

His campaign manager, who presumably was forever washing his hands when he wasn’t handing out dollar bills and promissory notes, could not understand it. Even given his personal powers of persuasion and a large war chest, no one, not even Ladybird, was going to believe said opponent f***** pigs. LBJ’s reply was classic.

Course they ain't but we're going to have ourselves some fun watchin' him deny it!


Don't even think about it