Friday, March 24, 2006

Bacon Bagel

I had a sneaking respect for Uncle Arthur. In WW2 he volunteered for the RAF Regiment and spent most of the war guarding buildings in London.
It was part of the myth that he did this so that he could be there if a bank suffered a direct hit.

My mother was a good Catholic and enforced 'the rules' like a Salford Taliban.
There was no meat on a Friday. Visiting Arthur after work one Friday I noticed that he was not eating his tea though sat at the table when we came in.
He was tired and hungry and could take no more.
"Olive! What's happened to my tea?"
"I'll just put it in the oven so it doesn't get cold."
A curious six year old, I drifted into the kitchen to see his wife, Olive, wink as a big plate of cabbage and bacon went in the oven.

I have been asked why I enjoy a bacon bagel so much, as I do from time to time. Its partly because it reminds me of Arthur and Olive. It also tastes much better on a Friday!