Sunday, April 01, 2012

Philosophy and Drink!

John Naughton in The Observer (1/4/2012) complains, a little, about a certain Mr Heidegger.
His not unreasonable grumble reminded me of Freddie Jevons, who had the privilege to teach me at postgraduate level in the (19) seventies. Yes I am that old. Freddie used to complain in his highly polished mittle european accent that " Philosophers are only paid to argue vith each osser!" 

Amen to that Freddie old son!

That reminded me of Monty Python's  Philosopher's Song. Not a yearning lieder for truth or beauty, nor yet a cantata for clarity in language or even a lament for logic, more about booze. It is alleged that Mr Heidegger was a boozy  beggar who could think you under the table and as for Mr Kant, a real puisant,  it is claimed that he was very rarely stable!
A whiff of M. Descartes position, philosophically speaking, can be judged from the claim attributed to him, without prejudice of course, that  "I drink therefore I am."
This may be relevant for April the 1st or not; you may judge for yourself at the link here.

So if you value your brain and your liver, give up the philosophy as well as the booze!

Many thanks to our Correspondent from Oz who pointed out the ditty to me originally