Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Information

SCL librarians have, yet again, delivered a book for me to my local library, only 2 miles away. (Note to SCC -If you close it my carbon footprint will increase as I will have to go the extra six miles to the next one. There is no suitable public transport. You will argue, of course, that I could be served by a mobile library bus with a big satellite dish on the top for direct links to Langley. Up to a point councillor Copper. It will visit our humble homesteads once every Preston Guild and, given our ages, physical and mental states, is likely to be pursued throughout the county by packs of infirm, forgetful old folk. A bit like the old rag and bone carts being pursued by dogs.) I digress.

The Information by James Gleick is a book I would recommend. I think he does a good job as it says on the tin/book moving from the history, the theory and pointing out the flood of information. Though, given the political dimension and scale of the subject it has been subject to criticism; sins of omission, possibly.

The jacket describes him as the author of Chaos! (Wouldn’t some of us love to be the author of chaos.) I enjoyed that one too!

Perhaps you could order it from your local library?