Monday, December 14, 2009

The cost of living.

Recently I listened to a short story by Lionel Shriver. Exchange Rates was an entry for the BBC National Short Story Competition. It didn't win but then winning isn't everything though(as Linus and Jonathon were wont) losing is nothing.

I know Lionel will forever have Kevin hanging round her neck but she is better than that.
I enjoyed Ordinary Decent Criminals many years ago and the above short story has convinced me she knows a thing or two about families.
Even if we do not admit it, we all see our parents in ourselves. The traits, the ticks and twitches cause a certain amount of discomfort. We recognise the results of shared genetic material, DNA busting out all over. There comes a point though, when you feel that for whatever reason, nature or nurture, your soul has been crimped and curled to a rough approximation of the folks. Not true? Maybe, but it can make you think!

Another thing, makes me think how fast the world is changing.
I was able to listen to all the short stories in my own time and at a speed that included making cups of tea, lashings of tea, and doing other things, courtesy of the iPlayer, downloads, and the generally benevolent wizardry of the Beeb, praise the Lord Reith!

It has made a huge contribution to the quality of my life.