Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Epiphany

In a Christmas Oratorio Auden points out:

As in previous years we have seen the actual Vision and failed
To do more than entertain it as an agreeable
Possibility, ... 
On the Epiphany, traditionally, the rich and powerful of the world come to bring gifts to a child.
Hands up all those who have noticed a rush of
the rich and powerful coming to the aid of children in need? I thought not. I know some of them mean well. The great sun in our hearts, our great helmsperson, Mr Broon, has pledged to cut child poverty in half. Well good luck to him, I'm sure he means well, and I hope my cynicism proves ill founded.

I believe we will, for many years to come, be looking at the faces of snotty nosed kids
surrounded by flies. They will continue looking out at us, eyes flat with hunger and faces which will not even be enlivened by despair.

In the meantime here is a calf with a mournful eye!