Thursday, September 16, 2010

Watering Workers Beer

The decision has been taken to scrap the £3.3m Community-Owned Pubs Support Programme

I am the man, the very fat man, who waters the workers' beer.
I am the man, the jolly fat man, who waters the workers' beer.
What do I care if it makes them ill; if it makes them terrible queer!
I've a car, a yacht, an airoplane from watering workers' beer.


Or words to that effect.
What would you think of the man, the terrible fat man who took the beer out of the workers and peasants hands. That's what he is about to do for some communities.
Shame! I hear you cry.
What can you expect from the man, the oleaginous fat man, who destroys the Audit Commission with the stoke of his pen!

Eric von Pickles has always struck me as a throwback to the days of the Ragged Trousered Philanthropist. Possibly to those interminable B Movies of my yoof about brave RAF guys escaping from a hell hole of a prison camp run by, you've guessed it, a chubby and totally evil Gauliter played by Eric von Pickles.

"For you Tommy the war is over. Have some beer, it is warm as you English like it; I leave you to guess why!"
However, help is at hand, not for the films, mercifully they all sank without trace.
As Social Enterprise reports:-

Co-ops step in to support community pubs.

Good guys!