Sunday, October 08, 2006

Blogging Crease

You know how you fall into conversation on trains. We had said god knows what anyone makes of our discussions. Earwigging on a journey recently I was captured by the idea of the blogging crease and the angle of tilt of the laptop.

We had joined a train south. It was crowded and I had completely failed to establish it was going in the right direction. I wanted to say is this the train to Peterborough. I could only form the words for is this the train to Penzance! Needless to say I remained mute!

Having found seats, I was staring out of the window purposefully and listening to the man next to me. He was bemoaning the fact, to his mobile phone, that he was in the middle of a messy divorce and that he had been made redundant. The man opposite was bemoaning the fact that he had had to take an employee out to lunch who he had made redundant, while discussing another employee who he had not been able to make redundant because he had a sick note. Both were using phones and typing away furiously. There was an unequal sharing of the space of the table between them given they were using similar laptops. Immediately I saw the need for a blogging crease down the middle of the table. Then I realised that would not be enough and that the angle of tilt of the laptop screen would be crucial and that one contestant/traveler would be able to sneak an advantage by tilting their screen forward!
Ah but if trains had men in long white coats festooned with pullovers and sunglasses with floppy white hats they could adjudicate and sell tea and cakes at the same time.